3... 2... 1...

April 12, 2005

BUNGY!
OK, so today was the day I took the plunge. And what a plunge it was!
I opted for the AJ Hackett Nevis Highwire bungy. At 134m it is the highest land based bungy in NZ (you can go a little higher if you do a para-bungy) and features a custom built jump pod and gondola to take you out there.
We made the 45min ride out to the jump site in one of the company's mini buses, and once at the base got fitted with our jump harnesses and had a quick safety talk.
We were them ferried across on the Gondola to the jump pod. There were about 20 of us doing the jump. I was one of the last so I had a long wait listening to the music being pumped into the pod, watching others plunging beneath me and getting increasingly more nervous.
Finally my time came, the straps were fitted to my feet and I shuffled forward to the edge of the platform.
"OK, ready? 3... 2... 1... "
I jumped without even thinking about it, it seemed like the natural thing to do! By the time I realised what I had done I reached the end of the bungy cord and it began to stretch. As you reach the top of the rebound there is a fraction of a second where you feel completely motionless before you begin to fall again, leaving your stomach behind.
At the top of the second rebound you reach up and pull a cord attached to your feet so that on the long winch back to the pod you are in a sitting position. This gives you time to relax, take in the views around you and compose yourself before you have to face other people and assure them...
..."it's not at all scary!"
Yeah right!
Seeing as I'm in the land of the Kiwi I thought I'd better actually see some of the national birds so after my bungy I went to the Kiwi and Wildlife Park.
I walked through the native trees and saw a variety of different native birds including three Kiwis.
As the Kiwi is a nocturnal bird they have built special Kiwi houses which create night for the Kiwi whilst it is daylight outside, allowing you to view them while they are active and foraging for food.
A relaxing way to end the day after somewhat less relaxing start.