Mountain Express

April 05, 2005

After a fantastic time in Kaikoura I caught another southbound bus and headed for Christchurch. I spent just one night here as a stop over before I went across to the west coast.
I decided to head west on the TranzAlpine train, which is meant to be one of the most scenic train rides in the world... and it was pretty damn scenic.
After passing across the Canterbury plains, hedged fields not unlike English countryside I have to say, we headed into the mountains and climbed up towards Arthur's Pass. Here, unfortunately, due to work on some tunnels further down the line, we had to transfer to a coach for the rest of our journey. It was no great loss though as the road followed the railway track for almost the entire journey.
The journey ended in Greymouth, the largest town on the west coast where I spent one night before I continued my journey south.