Divers Down - Week 1

February 05, 2005

The next few days were focused on getting everyone PADI Open Water qualified. Already being PADI OW it was a little tedious going through it all again but it was good to refresh my memory. By Wednesday everyone was qualified so I was looking forward to Thursday and the new territory of Advanced Open Water.
Then our stores arrived.
Every Monday our weekly stores are ordered from the mainland and they arrive at Castaway every Wednesday. They are brought round from Castaway on our dive boat Cheeky and to get them inside we form a chain of people up the beach. During this process a box of beer got wet, split and dropped its contents in an explosion of beer and glass ... and blood. My blood. The glass has cut my ankle and ruined my chances of diving on Thursday.
I woke on Friday morning looking forward to getting back in the water only to find I had developed an ear infection over night so still couldn't dive.
I made it to Saturday night without getting too annoyed and released my frustration in a blaze of alcohol. Drinking is restricted during the week due to diving but, with no diving on a Sunday, Saturday is a big night.
Every once in a while a special occasion occurs and Saturday nights have a theme. Our expedition leader Richard was having his last Saturday at Raviniake so he decided he wanted a 'T' party. We had to dress up as anything that began with the letter T. It was quite a turn out with everyone from the Tin Man (me) to Tinkerbell, Tony the Tiger, Mr T and Tarzan making an appearance.